17.4.2 Planer Safety
Follow these safety guidelines for working with planers:
- Examine wood for knots and other defects before placing
it in the planer.
- Do not plane against the grain of the wood.
- Let go of the materials as the feeder rolls catch. Do not
follow the work with your hands.
- Do not run boards that are more than 2 inches shorter
than the distance between the infeed and outfeed rolls.
- Use a push stick if a board stops with its end on the
- If a board sticks under the cutter head, turn off the
machine to keep from burning the cutter knives.
to Shop Safety Section