17.4.2 Drill Press Safety
Follow these safety guidelines when using drill presses:
- Securely clamp work materials to prevent spinning. Never
use your hands to secure work materials.
- Use a center punch to mark the material before drilling.
- Run the drill at the correct speed. Forcing or feeding
too fast can break drill bits.
- Never attempt to loosen the chuck unless the power is off.
- Lower the spindle before removing a chuck.
- Never use an auger bit in a drill press.
- Frequently back the drill out of deep cuts to clean and
cool the bit.
- Never leave chuck key in chuck.
to Shop Safety Section