17.5.2 Cutting Guidelines
Gas welding and cutting equipment is often fueled by oxygen
and acetylene gas cylinders. These tanks require special safety
precautions to prevent explosions and serious injuries. Follow
the safety guidelines below, and refer to the Laboratory Safety
chapter in this manual for more information on gas cylinder
- Ensure that acetylene/oxygen systems are equipped with
flame or flashback arresters.
- Store acetylene bottles upright and secured.
- Keep cylinder fittings and hoses free from oil and grease.
- Replace defective or damaged hoses.
- Do not tamper or attempt to repair cylinders, valves, or
- Do not interchange regulators or pressure gauges with
other gas cylinders.
- Carefully purge hoses and torches before connecting a
- Set acetylene pressure at or below 15 psig. Always use
the minimum acceptable flowrate.
- Never use a match to light a torch. Use an approved
Shop Safety Section